Weʼre raising funds to help pay for Colin’s medical expenses in Japan
Update 14th July
You will have heard about the tragic fate of Colin’s aircraft, Itzy. Very sadly for Colin Itzy suffered engine failure and he had to make a forced landing on a golf course in Aioi, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan.
Colin was extremely fortunate to walk away from the accident, but has since discovered he has broken his back in three places. He was air-lifted from the scene and is now in the emergency ward of the hospital. He is not allowed to move from the bed as there is a risk that he could damage his spinal nerve, until he has surgery.
He faces a very large medical bill, and at first was refusing treatment as he doesn’t have the money. His friends and family have made sure surgery will go ahead in Japan. There is no price for a life.
The bill will likely be around $30,000, so I am hoping that between us we can raise a little something to help his family with this expense.
I know many of you will have been lucky enough to have met Colin during his round the world trip. He rarely asks for help and is fiercely independent and proud. I know many have wanted to help him before now with the journey and he never accepts, but I think this time he is in need of the help of all those wonderful friends he has made around the world.
Click here to donate and support Colin: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/colin-hales
Update 8th July 2017
Well, that only took 7 months, but I have been issued all my three Article application flight permissions.
So with Tota Ueno, who is Aviation Olympos’s test pilot ‘to be’, we filled out more application documents ourselves and walked down to the JCAB office and did what I should have done 6 months ago but was advised not to, by going through their door and handing them in myself.
I got flight permission into Macau and into the Philippines and along with the other Articles which were cleared one at a time, first being 28 and then 11 and finally 127, we finally have permission to fly through Japan.
The pilots and companies who have agreed to help me at Kohnan, Kagoshima and one of the Japanese Islands either Okinawa or Ishigaki are ready and all we are doing now is waiting on the weather to clear to the west. They actually have had catastrophic down pours, the worst on record with up to 68 mm of rain falling an hour, for many hours, which brought flash floods and landslides and now there is a small Typhoon heading that way as well. So we have to wait a while, but soon I hope to fly on, maybe Tuesday.
At the weekend, Tota and I went to service the plane and start the engine and tidy up the brakes. So the aircraft is ready again. We just have to get the weather to play ball and possibly off we go… That is where we are….